MPL SUMMER INTERNSHIP PROGRAM
The Marine Physical Laboratory (MPL) at world-renowned Scripps Institution of Oceanography (SIO) seeks inquisitive motivated undergraduates with exceptional aptitude for quantitative science, majoring in engineering, physics, applied mathematics, chemistry, biology, geology or related majors.
Undergraduate college students contemplating a career in scientific research and development are encouraged to apply for a summer research internship in marine science and technology. This ten-week summer internship program offers qualified students the opportunity to work with some of the most notable scientists in the world while earning a modest salary. In addition to their research, students will attend weekly seminars given by members of our faculty and scientific staff.
Applicants must be US citizens or permanent residents currently enrolled in their first, second, or third year of undergraduate status. Senior year undergrads, former MPL interns, and high school applicants are not eligible. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age as of the internship start date.
To apply, submit your application via the online application at https://sioapps.ucsd.edu/sec/mpl. Applications are due Friday, January 13, 2023, at 4 p.m. Pacific time. Decisions will be emailed to applicants by the end of April.
- Statement of interest (limited to 200 words), including anticipated date of graduation
- Academic records / unofficial transcripts
- Two letters of recommendation from current / recent professors
We are planning for a 2023 MPL Summer Internship program. However, due to the uncertainty with the COVID-19 pandemic and depending on the pandemic situation as we get closer to summer, it is possible the program could be cancelled. We will update this MPL website in late May 2023 with a status for the program.
- Internship Program FAQ
- Intern Research - Check Out Former MPL Interns' Research Topics, Responsibilities and More
- Intern Feedback
- Research Topics - Peruse Some of the Research Topics MPL Scientists Are Working On
- Training Tomorrow’s Scientists: the Marine Physical Laboratory Internship Program - 2018 MPL Summer Internship Program in the News
- Internship Program Flyer